Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Meteor Shower Thursday Night!

The Perseid meteor shower, a yearly event, is likely to be particularly good this year because there will be no moonlight in the sky to wash out your view.

What should you do to get a good meteor shower experience on Thursday night?

Step 1: Go out after 11 pm*, preferably after midnight (So, I guess that's technically Friday morning).

Step 2: Find a spot with a good dark sky. If you live in town with the glow from city lights messing up your view, head to the northeast. That way, when you are watching the shower in the northeast, the lights will be behind you.

Step 3: Face northeast, relax, and watch the show. Don't focus on any one spot in the sky, but let your eyes take in a wide view, because you never know exactly where the next one will shoot across the sky.

Step 4: Don't get discouraged if you aren't constantly bedazzled by meteors shooting left and right. This isn't a fireworks show. You might expect a meteor every few minutes, some of which you will miss, especially if your skies aren't very dark.

Step 5: Let me know how it went!

Other showers during the year can be found at StarDate meteor page, or stay tuned here!

*local time

1 comment:

Augie Physics said...

Went out a little after 11:30. The skies were BEAUTIFUL, dark, and clear - I could make out all four stars in the bowl of the Little Dipper. In spite of lots of trees, I had a view of a large patch of sky high in the north/northwest.

I saw two bright meteors right away - cool! Then as my eyes got dark adapted, I saw an average of about one every two minutes. Some dim ones made me very glad I live in the middle of nowhere :)