Monday, October 29, 2007

Exploding Comet!

Update from Lee Carkner & another one from me below.

Comet Holmes* seems to have exploded - I think we need Sherlock to tell us why. But the view is pretty awesome. Because the explosion has created a large cloud around the comet bigger than Jupiter, you can now see it with the naked eye.

I was just outside, and thought I saw it, so I came back in and got my binoculars. Sure enough the thing I was looking at was definitely a fuzzy blob through the binoculars.

Want to see this comet yourself? Look to the northeast after sunset, below Cassiopiea (the W), to the left of Perseus, almost due east of the north star, as in this sky map.

I am very spoiled to be out here away from a lot of light pollution, but according to Dave Renneke, "It is very easy to see with binoculars from almost anywhere, regardless of moonlight or city lights. Last night I could also see it with the naked eye." He also took some photos that may be on the astronomy site soon.

This comet might also be a fun thing to look at at the Astronomy Open House on Saturday - don't forget!

*At this site, there's a cool animation of the explosion made from actual photos.

Update from Lee Carkner: "Some may have heard the news that periodic comet 17P/Holmes has brightened by a factor of almost one million and is now visible with the naked-eye. It is easy to find with binoculars in the northeast at evening. If you would like to see it yourself, this web page has observing tips:

http://helios.augustana.edu/~lc/astro/CometHolmes.html

If you would like to see Comet Holmes though a telescope, come to the planetarium Open House this Saturday from 7:30-9:30 pm. We will have telescope views, a planetarium show and astronomy images and meteorites on display. In addition, the Fryxell Geology Museum will be open with cool rocks and dinosaur fossils."

Another update Oct 31: Tonight I was able to see the comet by 6:30, and I could even tell it was not a star-like point of light, but rather a fuzzy blob - all with the naked eye!

No comments: